What is CBN?
Like THC and CBD, CBN is another cannabinoid present in cannabis. However, it is more like CBD than THC in being non-intoxicating. The level of CBN increases as THC ages. This means the level of CBN increases with the age of the plant. For those seeking out higher CBN levels, older cannabis is actually preferable.
While research into the benefits of CBN is in its infancy, studies are indicating some potential benefits:
- Antibacterial- CBN has shown that it might be a good tool in fighting antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- Neuroprotectant- there are signs CBN might help fight against neurodegenerative diseases like ALS.
- Appetite Stimulation- this shows promise in increasing the munchies without the THC associated high.
- Glaucoma- CBN is promising for reducing eye pressure that results in glaucoma.
- Anti-inflamatory- one study shows good results in mitigating arthritis inflammation.
Is CBN Sedating?
Despite rumors and popular beliefs, CBN is not a sedative nor an insomnia cure. So why do customers hold this belief? In part it is the entourage effect. THC along with CBN is more sedating than THC or CBN alone. But even more important is that CBN flourishes in older cannabis. The terpenes in older cannabis have chemically altered with time, and those remaining are more sedating.
CBN is not plentiful in fresh or cured cannabis. Truly the easiest way to make it is leaving your cannabis out in the air to oxygenate. This is far from ideal though. Products are slowly entering the market in the form of tinctures or edibles. As of August 2020, there are only two products available on OCS: Soleil Renew CBN Oil and Soleil Renew CBN Softgels.